Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Don't be jealous.

So I'm at Fred Meyer last night shopping for cold medicine, kleenex, hand sanitizer, and some new pillows.
"What's Fred Meyer?" you ask? It's like Target, but with clothing. Only not so cool. It is cooler than WalMart, because WalMart is just gross, claustrophobic, and always crowded.
So I purchase all my things, except for pillows, because they wanted like twenty bucks for a pillow, on up to 69.99! I'm like, no way, no how. I would have to go to Target to get a pillow for my husband, who likes 'em flat as a pancake. I can get those for 2.99 at Target.
Anyhoo, I get my cart full of stuff, and head out to the breezway where they keep the carts.
I go through the first set of doors, and see a guy and a girl walking towards me.
Okay, not towards me, more towards the door I just came out of.
So I'm looking at them and smiling thinking "Wow, they look really familiar."
I look at him, he's wearing a ski cap, and has hair sticking out from under it, and she has her hair pulled back, and they smile back at me.
I slow down to a stop, still staring, thinking to myself "I don't know any Indian teenagers, but they sure look familiar!"
By this time they're right next to me, and the guy is smiling sheepishly, like I'm embarassing him, so I push my cart a little farther, and stop again. They've passed me, and gone into the store, when all of the sudden it hits me.
"Cherstin! They were on American Idol!!" I say loudly. Yes! It was Shyamali and Sanjaya Malakar! My daughters mouth dropped open. Then I thought, why are they in Burien at Fred Meyer??
"Let's go in and follow them!" I turn the cart around, and Cherstin told me later she was thinking "Oh crud, what's she going to do? Embarass me?" We go back into the store, and I don't know what direction they went, so I proceed to go down evey stinking aisle in the store. Nothing. They've disappeared.
Finally, my hips felt like they were going to split in half, so sadly, I gave up and went out to my van. Then I have another great idea. I re-parked the car so I could see the door they went in, just in case they came out that way. My plan was to follow them to their car, but Cherstin said "are you going to stalk them??"
Then I thought "What the hay am I doing? I am 36 years old, and I'm stalking people who auditioned for American Idol." Now I know I'm crazy. I still had to get pillows at Target, so I left without a second glance.
 There you have it. My brush with fame. Not that I'd be famous if I talked to them, but you know what I mean. On the way home my daughter was saying "I'm never washing this sweatshirt again!" I asked her why, and she said "they smiled at my sweatshirt!" then she said "I will pass this story on from generation to generation!"
If nothing else, it was a memory we won't soon forget. I guess this means they made it to Hollywood, but not much farther than that, eh?

20 comments:

Sketchy said...

I AM Jealous! Fred Meyer says "Home" to me...

Oh, and who? Sorry I was reminiscing about Fred Meyer...what was that you said again?

PS: videos are hard to watch while overdubbed to Ethyl Merman...just my thought for the hour - yes I said for the hour, I have a cold. I don't do many thoughts per day when I have a cold...sorry.

Suzanne said...

Is yours still actually called Fred Meyer? Ours used to be called that, but it's Smith's Marketplace now.

How fun that you saw "famous" people! I always have a hard time figuring out who someone is until a moment later like you did! :)

Elizabeth-W said...

Ethel is over the top, in a good way. Fred Meyer is expensive, in a bad way.
That's where we go for all our prescriptions (stuff we transferred from Portland), so we're still using them. Bad news for them is that a Wallgreen's is being built a mile from my house (or Greenwall's as 3 year old calls it). FM is going to lose a bundle on all my daughter's drugs.
I saw Donny Osmond once in an airport in Houston. I saw Alice Cooper in the Las Vegas airport.
I know Kroger bought out FM, so that is why some products now say Kroger, but I think the NW ones are going to keep the FM name.

Millie said...

I agree - it's spendy. I only go there for certain things (wracking my brain, trying to think what they are...).

How fun that you saw them! They seemed like really, really nice kids. I wonder how many little "famous moments" they're having lately.

Unknown said...

You lucky carrot, you! I love them. They are so cute. I think they should do toothpaste commercials. He was so cute, he didn't tell his sister Simon said he was better than her.
Oh my gosh! I am crazy enough to stalk people. You are way more grown up than I would be!

dalene said...

I miss Fred Meyer. No one grows impatiens like Freddies.

Not to steal your thunder or anything, but my kids go to high school with and play in the same band as and sing in the same choir as someone who auditioned for American Idol.

Of course she was actually good (just a little too young) so she didn't make the TV show.

Anyway, you really crack me up. (I think I would've done the same thing. In fact I think I have done the same thing, but obviously with a lesser celebrity. So much lesser I have no recollection who.)

p.s. D. Osmond's dad lives in the same wing on the same floor at the same retirement center as my grandparents. We once possessed a scarf that belonged to Robert Redford. My son wore it for awhile, but then we gave it back to my brother, because it was his. Oh, and I exchange comments sometime with carrot jello. That's HUGE!

Natalie said...

You're too funny! I too have had a "brush with fame." This summer in CA I swear we passed Cory Feldman. Such a D list star, but still. LOL!

maren out my laundry said...

I miss good old Fred Meyer :( That is sooooo funny that you saw them and even funnier you just stared at them! LOL I'm sure they get it alot. Bummer they didn't make it too far they were both so cute and talented!

maren out my laundry said...

Oh and I will add my claim to fame, when I was in college my mailman was one of the Osmond brothers (one of the deaf ones) he was the sweetest guy and would call me on the phone cause I wanted to learn sign language and he was going to do a class but it feel through. Nice guy.

wendela said...

Fred Meyer, I'd never heard of it. You've taught me somthing new today, Carrot.
Ethel Merman- my kids first exposure to her was when I took them to a weekday matinee of old movies in our town and she belted out that song in the film. :)
I liked your brush with the famous story! I probably would have been stalkier and my kids would have been even more embarrassed.

Super Happy Girl said...

"they smiled at my sweatshirt!". LOL
Good story, I'm glad you didn;t follow then home and then they had to call the police on you. That would have been a sad story.

I saw Ernest Borgnine eating lunch right next to us at Moe's in Newport, OR. I saw Cuba Gooding Jr on LV strip (girls were yelling "show me the money!" at him).
The member of a Mexican boy band smiled at me at the airport one time. I don't even remember what I was wearing.

Anonymous said...

I'm never going to wash my mouse again because I've communicated with Carrot through it!

Millie said...

She's so lying about Ernest Borgnine. What a name-dropper.

Since we're sharing, I've met Weird Al backstage after his concert, twice. He was so sweet. A girl handed him her cell phone and had him leave the outgoing message on her answering machine at home. I thought that was awesome.

Mimo- JenK said...

I saved a box that Carrot sent me cookies in. I'll never use that box again. *sigh*
Do you think that seeing them meant they were out? You sure they weren't in town having their town taped?

Super Happy Girl said...

I did see him!, he even said he doesn't trust chicken, it figures.

A girl handed him her cell phone: come clean Millie!, tell everyone that you actually threw the cell phone at him several times and got arrested. The message you refer to is the order to stay away 1 miles away from him.

Super Happy Girl said...

"order to stay away 1 miles away from him"- that order is very specific, so much so, they put the word AWAY twice.

Kate said...

Wow . . . lucky you carrot! But lucky ME cause I know you . . . well . . . in cyberspace at least . . . sometime I'll have to meet you in real life . . . even if I have to stalk you in Heaven! *grins*
Oh . . . and I'm glad no one is doing any Merman-bashing . . . this song isn't right unless Ethel's singing it! :)

omar said...

I'm pretty sure I've never heard of this Fred Meyer fellow. In any case, CJell, please send me your autograph.

Millie said...

Weird Al was so enraptured with my beautiful face, he chased me from the building shouting, "You're everything I've ever wanted in life" before my husband (in charge of security that night) had him knocked down and, I believe White Man Retarded's term was, "nanny-slapped" until he lost consciousness. And that's why he'll never play a concert in Portland again. All because of me and that unfortunate incident.

Carrot Jello said...

Not to self:
Never let your comments get away from you. Otherwise you sit all day debating whether or not to individually respond to 19 comments, or just give everyone a great big hug.
(((everyone)))