Wednesday, January 16, 2019

"War is hell..."


...And so is sheetrocking. My husbands philosophy is "Anything I can do, you can do...too." Lift sheets of wallboard above your head? Sure, she can do it. Mud and tape? No problem. Sand walls for a thousand days? She's your woman. Of course, he works harder than I do. But, he's a man, right? I'm not one of those "Equal Rights For All!" sort of gal. I'm more of a "I can't do that! That's man's work! Don't get me wrong, I'm the one that usually takes the garbage out, mows the lawn, etc. But construction? I just don't wanna do it.
I don't want to be Mr. Handyman's helper. toilets leaking, and we gotta pull the floor out? Hated it. Moving steel plates up to 200 lbs? Waaah. Pack up and move when you're pregnant? I did it, but I didn't like it. I've tried the whole "I am pregnant!" but it doesn't get me out of anything. Whatever happened to all the man friends that came over to your house back in the day, painting, carpeting, sheet rocking? My grandpa always had plenty of men helping him paint his house. I say to my husband "You need some man friends to help you do this. Call this person, or that person." His answer? "Why, when I have you?" *sigh*
I never saw my mom hammer anything. Not even a nail for a picture. Maybe she did when I was younger, and I just don't remember it. My dad was always painting, wallpapering, hanging pictures, or hiring someone do to landscaping. If he didn't do it, then another man did. NOT my mom. So man friends, where are you? Can't you come over and finish sanding the basement so we can paint and put flooring down before the carpet comes next Saturday? Please?