Wednesday, January 16, 2019

I'm not always light minded. In fact, this is probably the only place I am all the time. If you were to meet me, you'd probably expect something different than what you'd get. I feel like sharing a dream I had once. I'm not sure why, because it's not funny or entertaining, but I shall share it anyway.
I had this dream while living in a small apartment out in western Kansas. I had three children, and honestly, this is not where I envisioned I'd be - ever. This town had about 2,000 people, maybe. Where they all were, I couldn't figure out. One variety store, and one grocery store. We lived three hours from a mall, and 1/2 hour away from a town with at least a Walmart.
More than once in my life, I have found myself asking Heavenly Father, "What did I do so wrong in my life that I am where I am?" Yeah, I know. Not something you should whine about. But I did.
One night I was on the phone talking to my cousin. She was telling me about this jewelry she had bought, a car she was getting, and a grandfather clock she was buying. I thought to myself, "Why does she get all this stuff? She didn't even graduate high school! I'm married to an attorney, and I'm stuck here in the middle of nowhere in an apartment!" Not that I wanted jewelry, and a grandfather clock, but some matching furniture would have been nice. I whined to myself probably the rest of the night. Finally, I fell asleep, and had this dream.
I dreamed that my cousin, the one on the phone, had invited me over to see her house she had re-modeled. In the house lived my cousin, her son, her brother, and my aunt(her mother). They were so excited to show me all they had done. I entered the house, and the first thing I noticed was how dark it was inside. There were no lights. The first bedroom they showed me (and all the bedrooms had the same layout)was my aunts. If there is a craft to be done, my aunt can do it. From making dolls, to painting and crocheting, she does it. They opened the door to her room, and it was dark, but I could see ceiling to floor, around the room, shelves. Shelves full of every kind of craft thing you could ever hope to want. There were two windows in the corner, and outside it was gray and rainy. They could hardly wait to show me the next room, which belonged to my cousin and her little boy. I opened the door, and it too, was dark. Like her mothers room, this room had floor to ceiling shelves around the room, but these shelves were crammed with every kind of toy your child could ever hope for. I looked outside from her windows, and it was still gray and rainy. Up next was her brothers room. It was covered in brass. The bed, the walls, the floor, the decor, was all brass. They kept saying how much they thought it looked like gold. His room was dark too, and out the window it was gray and rainy. They were going on and on about how wonderful everything was, but I wasn't impressed. His bedroom was the last one, so I headed back up the hallway to go out. On the way, I noticed a door they hadn't showed me. I said, "What's in this room?" My grandma said, "Oh, you don't want to go in there! There's nothing in there! Nobody lives in there." But I was curious, so I opened the door. They were pulling on my arm trying to get me out of there, but I was drawn into the room. It was a beautiful room, but had absolutely nothing in it. The carpet was a deep green, the walls, a light yellow, and the trim around the windows. That was it. No furniture, no art, nothing. Outside, the sky was bright blue, and the sun was shining. It felt so good to be in there. So warm, and inviting. I turned to look at them, and asked, "Why doesn't anyone live in here?!" I couldn't understand it. They couldn't understand why anyone would live in there if it had nothing in it. Finally they kept grabbing at me to leave, so I did. We walked outside, and before leaving I asked how much the remodel cost. My cousin happily said, "Only 23,000 dollars!" I was shocked, and asked how they could afford it. They told me it was okay, because they had put it all on credit card.
When I woke up, I realized that it's not what you put in your house, that makes your house. It's the spirit of your home, that makes it a home. I didn't need matching furniture, or any furniture at all, to make it a place that people wanted to be. A room could have nothing in it, but if it had an inviting spirit, people would love to be there. I felt bad for whining about the things I didn't have, when what I needed, I already had, and better yet, it was free.
I do tend to forget this lesson sometimes. In fact, after this dream, we moved into a house that I called a rat hole. The year we lived there, I would't let anyone come in, except for the Relief Society president. One day she sent me a letter. She told me that she loved the spirit in my house, and that it didn't matter what it looked like, she liked to be there. I was ashamed that I hadn't let more people in. I worried to much that they would judge me, when I could be sharing with them what I had.
In fact, living in that house was a blessing, because we sold it to the library, and made enough money to move back to Washington, and live until my husband found employment. It's a parking lot now.
Like I said, I'm not sure why I'm sharing this on my blog, but for the past couple weeks it keeps coming to me that I should. So I did.

24 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

That was.............so profound, carrot. Wow. For once, I have nothing to say except that I wish you lived closer. My house is so funky from the wear and tear of 6 kids whereas most of the people in our ward have their perfectly painted huge 2 story homes that look like something out of Southern Living magazine. Often times I've rebuffed feeding the missionaries and other things because I felt embarrassed. Well, no more, missy. I'm going to invite people over.........and then make them sit outside on our lovely matching plastic patio furniture I bought at the Dollar Store.

Elizabeth-W said...

When I think about people having "visions" in the scriptures, this is exactly what I think they mean. A vision, to me, is a dream that has deep meaning that resonates with you, and others see the metaphor, as well.
Thank you very, very much for sharing.

Phae-Jae said...

Very insightful, thank you. At one point in our marriage we lived in a little trailor while everyone in our ward lived in nice houses and drove SUV's. The people were good, and so were we. unfortunately, I missed out on a lot of good friendships because of my insecurities about where we lived. I've known very beautiful people living in very beautiful houses, and I've known people that are stuffy and mean that live in beautiful houses...and it goes the other way too...with people living in small places. It is the spirit in ones home.

Yep, I really liked that CarrotJello ;)

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Yeah, what elizabeth and pj said. Much more eloquent and insightful than what I could come up with.

Amanda said...

Ditto to the above! That was very profound and very touching. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Mega dittos to the above!
I could relate to everything that has been shared.

I have lived in all types of places. Large homes, trailers, third world, 50 year old rentals. I have tried to show my gratitude to Heavenly Father by taking care of what I have. I felt like I couldn't very well ask for more, if I didn't appreciate and take care of what I already had.

Jennifer B. said...

Thank you so much for sharing your dream. I really needed that reminder--in fact, it feels like an answer to prayer. Sometimes I think if I could just acquire a few more material things I would be more comfortable and happy, but it's not what I really need. (For example, new slipcovers, fresh paint, or a cleaned carpet). I'm touched by your insight and the next time I feel like keeping someone out, just maybe I will invite them in.

Cool! You're the cyber-version of the best Visiting Teacher ever!

Thanks Carrot.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

What an amazing, humbling dream. The reason you felt to share it? Because silly gals like me who get their priorities out of whack need to hear that message. Seriously need to. I'd have to go on for a page or so telling you about what's going on in my life for you to understand why, but I really, really -needed- that, you know? Thanks so much.

maren out my laundry said...

That is a beautiful story Carrot. You are so charming and funny all the time but not to sound too cheesy I've always known you've had great wisdom in you! I know I alawys say this but I really do look up to you, I hope you know that. Thanks for posting this, really made me think. What a powerful dream!

Anonymous said...

That should be in the Ensign - so many of us can relate, and appreciate the insight. Thanks for taking the time to blog it!

Angela said...

Thank you for sharing this. I think a lot of us can relate to wishing we had nicer things. Well, I can, and I like to think I'm like everyone else. :)

I love love love the message of this dream and you described it SO well. I really needed to hear it right now. Thanks.

Millie said...

Dang, girl, I love your dreams.

I also loved Annie's comment about showing gratitude by taking care of what she had. That was also eloquent. I needed to hear all of this today. :)

Elizabeth-W said...

I've been thinking about Alaska's comment about sending it to the Ensign. It is a great idea! Here are some things you could throw into the mix: Lehi's dream of the great and spacious building; a verse about God looking upon the heart; Pres. Benson's talk about pride (that it can be looking down, OR up). I don't know. I just think it is such a great message that clearly has resonated with everyone since you posted it. I really do think you should submit it. :)

Kara said...

Thank you so much for sharing your dream. It was wonderful, a lesson I too often forget.

Sketchy said...

Thanks Carrot :) You just confirmed how awesome I think you are.

wendy said...

What an interesting dream! Good thoughts for me right now - I've been whining about this stinkin desk...time to stop whining...

Suzanne said...

Wow, what a beautiful post! I think you were inspired. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Super Happy Girl said...

O my WOW!
You are a Dreamer my friend, I have never had doubts about that.
This dream is so right on the money (no pun intended), what an amazing gift you have.
Thanks for sharing it, I also needed to read that :D

Kate said...

*HUGS* Thanks Michelle! I too needed that reminder . . . thank you for sharing! :)

Carrot Jello said...

Wow, and to think I almost got up this morning and deleted my post. You just never know eh?

Millie said...

Oh for crying out loud. :)

I was going to tell you, I don't think you're light-MINDED on your blog - light-hearted, yes. Light-hearted is always good.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a powerful dream! Such things happen pretty rarely for me but when they do, they leave an indelible impression with the lessons to be learned.

dalene said...

Excellent post! Thank you!!!

Rachel said...

What a great thing to remember! I've been struggling with the fact that we are selling our home and moving into my parents while they are gone. I've gotten attached to my home over the years. A good friend told me it is hard to leave the home you brought your kids home from the hospital to. She told me just to make sure I packed up my kids and I could take "home" with me whever I went.